From Food to Sex, Meditation Makes It Better
I practice and teach MBSR Meditation (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction). There are numerous scientific studies proving the benefits of a meditation practice for your mind and body. But really, don’t you just want a simple, go to reason, that makes you want to ohm the night away, fire up your chakras, and get your kundalini rising?
When you practice mindfulness, you are opening the door to the non-thinking part of your brain that allows the flow of energy to enter and pass through your mind without the burdens of judgement. It is being present with what is happening here and now. The roaming mind wants to create chaos with what ifs, and thoughts that take you on an endless trail of searching. Mindfulness allows you to just be. You don’t have to get somewhere.
Start small with 10 minutes a day and build. You can do it in a line up at the grocery store or waiting for an appointment. Take a breath, calm your mind and …just notice. Listen to the ceiling fan…then come back to your breath, hear the birds chirping…then come back to your breath. You get the idea.
Eight super good reasons to hit the zabuton, take 10, unwind, and go inside. You will create an external mirror to your inside with a beautiful reflection of your effervescent being. At the very least, you will find a snippet of time to relax…and that’s a good thing.
1. FOOD TASTES BETTER - Taste and smell both improve as a regular practice effects the temporal lobe of your brain. You become more sensitive to stimuli and you get more present and centered. Flavours are heightened, and your olfactory receptors are firing on all 6 cylinders. Yum.
2. IT CALMS THE MIND – Meditation effects the pre-frontal cortex of your brain. It lessens addictions, increases dopamine and serotonin, and thus, acts as a mood stabilizer. It effects the amygdala to reduce anxiety, stress and anger.
3. IT CALMS THE BODY – There is overall stress reduction that effects the gut, hormones and heart. It reduces your tummy troubles with dopamine production in the bowels.
4. YOU GET A BETTER SLEEP – Meditation helps you get your zzzzz’s because you are more relaxed all day. Cortisol levels are greatly reduced.
5. IT MAKES YOU NICER – You will become less reactive with the presence of mind to take a breath (a mini-meditation) before you speak.
6. PEOPLE WILL LIKE YOU BETTER – When you are less reactive, it creates an energetic field of calmness around you that is palpable to others. It creates a sense of safety and a nurturing quality.
7. IT MAKES YOUR BRAIN YOUNGER – Meditation increases grey matter, defragments your thinking, and lengthens your life expectancy.
8. BETTER SEX LIFE – Yippee! There is less distraction, more pleasure, and better orgasms. Stress reduction increases desire. When mindfulness becomes a natural part of your daily activities, you can melt into the moment, stay present, and let the crescendo of pleasure rise to the surface. It doesn’t matter if you fly solo, or with a partner, take the time to meditate and your body will respond with a resounding yes, yes, yes, YES!
Meditation is one way to escalate your enjoyment in the pleasurable activities in your life. While it is done as a singular and inward journey, it will reap many rewards in your empirical world. I encourage you to take the next step and practice with loving kindness, your self-discovery. It can’t help but make you a calmer person and, by extension, you will be sprinkling that stardust wherever you go.
~ Susan Lee Woodward
I am a Reiki teacher and practitioner, MBSR Meditation teacher, Laughter Yoga facilitator and Medical Intuitive. I love what I do and want to share it with you. Share your thoughts and leave a comment.
© Susan Lee Woodward - This article in its entirety is protected by Canadian and International copyright laws. Reproduction of this written content without written permission of the author is prohibited.